Sunday, December 04, 2005

Confidence or Overconfidence?

Being confident with one's thoughts is important. Being overconfident can be disastrous. So, how do you realize where the dividing line is?

I have come across many situations, both at work and while having casual discussions/debates, where I have been really confident with what I believed in or the way I analysed the matter of discussion. Many a times, I have gone wrong. During such situations I often ask myself as to why I was so confident. What should I do in order to avoid facing a potential "foot in the mouth" situation due to this kind of confidence or rather overconfidence?

So, what I am doing wrong? Is it just lack of experience? Or is there a need to improve my reasoning and analysis? Do I need to question every belief of mine no matter how strong it is?

No comments: